Thursday, April 16, 2009

The Home stretch

I am in the home stretch for my triathlon this year. It is in three more weeks. This season, I have pushed myself harder,and feel like I am stronger than last year.This has not come without much sacrifice on my part or my loving families.This has come with many challenges. I won't lie there were many days,even hours, that I felt like throwing in the towel.
I began my training in January, and starting to train 5 months before an actual race,is challenging in itself. Staying motivated was probably my biggest obstacle. Remaining focused, and remembering my goal was something I had to continuously remind myself. There were times, I would literally be running and talking to myself,"Okay, why are you doing this?".
Alot can happen to a person in their life during a 5 month period. I mean just because I decided to train for a race, does not mean my life stops happening.
So in between life, I had to find time to exercise, get to the gym, swim,and lift weights. Many times I would just throw on my running shoes and head outside, because I could not make it to the gym. And of course there have been many times when things just happen, kids sick, Bob out of town, me sick, dog dies, vacations, Bob gone again,and sporting events that have cause me to put my training on hold for a day or two or three.
There were times that I knew if I wanted to, I could give up, I could just stop. No one was going to make me do this,no one was going to think less. I realized completing this is up to me,it is my will, my personal goal.
Training for triathlons, for me, is a love-hate relationship. I love the idea of doing one, but hate the idea of exercise. I am not one of those people who are like "yeah exercise!", I am the total opposite. But,training has made me more disciplined, committed, and focused on my life. I feel more alive at 38 then I did at 18 or 25 or 30! I have done things that I thought I could never do, or would ever want to do. Every step in this training has taken me to a new level, physically, mentally and personally. I owe so much to this race, to this training, it has changed me, as a wife, as a mother, and more importantly as a woman.
The other day I swam a 1/2 mile swim in 62 degree ocean water, waves, and even pelicans! When my friend and I got back into the car, we looked at each other and laughed our heads off! We could not believe we didn't drown, we didn't care how we looked, and we weren't worried what anyone thought! I have come a long way.
Now, when someone asks me "Why are you doing this?", I simply reply "Because, I can."

2 comments:

Victoria said...

I am so proud of you! I don't know if you've inspired anyone else, but you've inspired me! I run now and I love how it makes me feel. Not ready for the whole triathalon thing, but hey, baby steps. I love you, little sister. And I'll be there cheering for you on that day as you cross the finish line with Dad's headband on!

Elsja said...

Just this post inspires me as well! Not really to run, but I live in a city with beautiful areas to walk and exercise but then I spend all my time in the gym. I really need to get out more and I hope to feel better at 38 than I do at 28 :)