Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Legacy

Regan and I went on a bike ride yesterday. She told me how proud of me she was that I am doing a triathlon! I will tell you that I was so choked up. Regan is such an encourager. She told me that she has told her friends and her Sunday School teacher.
As we were riding our bikes, she said "Mommy, I want to do a triathlon too!" I am so happy, at this point I don't care what I look like on race day, I know that I am a winner in my daughter's eyes. I am so glad that I have trained all year for this moment. I thought it would be for crossing the finish line in my race, but over this year, I have crossed many finish lines. This has been the best one. To know that I have been an example for my children. That dedication, hard work and perseverance pays off. Even if it is for only one moment to be seen in her eyes as a winner, as her hero, I know that I have already won.
My journey this year has been to determine what legacy that I would choose to leave my children and their children when I am gone from this place. I had made a conscious decision that which path I chose, would not only impact my life, but theirs and my future generations. How will they remember me? What will be my history? What will they tell their children?
They won't remember if our house was spotless, or if the laundry was done (yes, I do those things too!), but they will remember the small moments, riding a bike with her mom training for a triathlon, running in pouring rain to our car getting soaking wet, camping in our living room(tent and all),dancing to the oldies(okay 70's but it will be the oldies by the time they remember), piling on top of each other to see who can get the most kisses, their mother spending time with her heavenly father, the stories of when God showed up for them/us, time and time again, this is where it starts, now, the memories that they will pass down, who I was/am. My Legacy.
I am so excited to finish my first triathlon this week, I am glad I didn't wait, for the "perfect time" to achieve this goal, I am glad that the time is now-I am glad that I have experienced this with new/old friends, with family, with my spouse, and my children, but the most important experience I have had through this, has been with my God, through the discipline it has taken to "stay on course", I have learned many new things about my self, his grace, his mercy and his love. What started as just a "race", has become so much more. It has helped shape me in so many ways, physically,yes, emotionally, yes, but what I wasn't expecting was spiritually. This has truly been an amazing season in my life!
The percentage of people who complete a triathlon is very small. I will be one of those people now, me, just an anybody, but somebody to a lot of people. Thank you for the encouragement,the prayer, the accolades. I could not have done it without you!

2 comments:

Victoria said...

You've always been somebody to me. Never a nobody. I'm proud of you. Congratulations.

St. of Words said...

so awesome aunt b. i cant wait to see how you do. i wish i could be at the finish line when you cross. you are gonna do wonderful and what an awesome experience to go through.
i love you
you will leave an amazing legacy for your children. you have for your nieces i know that much.