Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Ahoy Matey!

We went to the park the other day after seeing a play at the local theatre called "Treasure Island". It is our weekly trip, and we go to the park and then to the library, as we were walking by the lake on the way to the park, there was a young man sleeping on the ground. The young man couldn't have been more than 20yrs old, and he was really dirty and his clothes were too small. He had no shoes on, and had a shirt gathered behind his head as a pillow. (He was a local vagrant).
Nolan was staring at this man with a child like intensity, I knew he was thinking about it really hard, his eyes were big and he couldn't pull his eyes off of the scene. I knew that at any moment the hard questions that you get from a typical curious five year old were coming. In anticipation for the questions that were to come, I was starting to rehearse my answers, when Nolan looks up at me and says, "Mommy, you know that guy that was sleeping on the ground over there?"He is real serious here, Yes,"Well mommy he's a lost pirate and he was on the pirates of the Caribbean (he says it like cariban), really? ,looking around, "Yeah, I wonder where Jack Sparrow is?" I looked down at him, and saw the belief in his eyes, so trying not to laugh, said " Yes,baby he sure is a pirate and we better walk fast not to wake him, he might take us to his ship and make us walk the plank!" and with that we ran as fast as we could to the park, and Nolan has been telling everyone about the real life pirate he saw at the park! I love that! Kids make every day an adventure, I wish I still had that kind of imagination! and that vagrant will never know that he made my boy's whole day, which proves my point, we are all significant! even when, it is just to make a little boy happy for a moment:)

1 comment:

Victoria said...

I love that! What a sweet story. Thanks for making me smile, once again. I look forward to each and every one of your blogs. As do so many others! I love you.